Up Close and Musical® brings the power and beauty of classical music into the classrooms of elementary schools throughout Dane County. Our Hunt Quartet musicians visit classrooms to conduct exciting and interactive lessons that send students on a hunt for the concepts of melody, rhythm, expression, and form. The full quartet then demonstrates these concepts in a performance for the whole school. At the end of the school year all participating schools attend Symphony Soup to experience classical music live in a concert hall with the full symphony orchestra.
This letter of agreement outlines the elements and requirements of the 2023-2024 Up Close & Musical program.
This agreement should be read and signed by all participating music teachers and the school principal.
Participating Up Close & Musical partners receive:
- Four school visits by the Hunt Quartet during the 2023-2024 school year.
- School visits will occur during the months of October, November, March and April
- One Hunt Quartet musician will visit each participating classroom to conduct a 25-minute interactive, themed lesson followed by a 25-minute mini concert by the Hunt Quartet for all participating classrooms
- The musicians will rotate to different classrooms each school visit so the students meet each quartet member up close and personal
- Access to the Up Close & Musical curriculum materials for the music teacher
- Reservations to attend the culminating Symphony Soup Concert at the Overture Center
- Ongoing support from the MSO staff
- School visits are free thanks to generous donor support.
Participating partners are required to:
- Plan for the Hunt Quartet school visits on the scheduled dates and communicate with school staff and classroom teachers
- Provide 4 chairs, 4 music stands (if available) and a microphone (if needed) in the concert performance space
- Ensure that staff are present during each classroom visit and the concert to assist with student needs and smooth implementation of the sessions
Note: Hunt Quartet members are not authorized to interact with students in the absence of school staff
- Attend the culminating Symphony Soup concert on Tuesday, May 14, 2024, 10:15 a.m. or 12:15 a.m.
Note: Seats for Symphony Soup are $4 per student. Parents, teachers, and chaperones are free of charge with groups over 10 students. Subsidized tickets are available depending on your school’s participation in the free/reduced lunch program. Separate registration for Symphony Soup will be required at a later date.
- Communicate with the Madison Symphony Orchestra staff as needed