Fall Youth Concerto Competition
2023 Competition Date: Saturday, September 23, 2023
The competition is open to Wisconsin students in grades 3 to 8. The winner will perform in Overture Hall with the Madison Symphony Orchestra for an audience of their peers at our Fall Youth Concerts on Tuesday, November 7! They will also have an opportunity to perform at MSO Community Concerts on Thursday, November 9 at the Verona Performing Arts Center and Saturday, November 11 at the Mitby Theater in Madison.
- Applicants must select a movement from a solo concerto or concert piece with orchestral accompaniment from the standard published repertoire. Simplified arrangements are not allowed. Orchestral accompaniment parts must be readily available.
- Total performance time shall not exceed 10 minutes, with allowable cuts to the appropriate tutti sections. No cuts may be made to the solo part. In the final performance, any and all cuts must be approved by the Music Director of the Madison Symphony Orchestra.
- All auditions must be accompanied by a piano reduction of the orchestral score, with the accompanist provided by the applicant.
- Memorization is required.
- Soloists may audition on one instrument only.
- Applicants must provide THREE judges’ copies of the piano score, with measures numbered.
- Judges have complete discretion in naming or not naming winner(s). The judges’ decisions are final.
Previous winners may not compete in consecutive years on the same instrument. Contracted musicians of the MSO are ineligible.
Thank you, Madison Symphony Orchestra, for giving me the opportunity to reach out to students from all over Wisconsin through my music. What an amazing experience it was to solo with a professional orchestra and knowing my performance may have inspired others. I will never forget the exuberance and energy that I felt performing with the Madison Symphony Orchestra on the Overture Stage. Thank you for creating such an amazing experience for the young musicians in Wisconsin!