Fall Youth Concerto Competition
The Fall Youth Concerto Competition is intended to provide an opportunity for outstanding young instrumentalist(s) to perform solo repertoire with a professional symphony orchestra. The winner(s) will perform with the MSO under the direction of Associate Conductor Kyle Knox on Tuesday, November 23, 2021 during the Madison Symphony Orchestra’s Fall Youth Concerts and will also receive a scholarship to attend the UW-Madison Summer Music Clinic.
The competition is open to Wisconsin students in grades 3 to 8. Previous winners may not compete in consecutive years on the same instrument. Contracted musicians of the MSO are ineligible.
The competition will take place during the day on Saturday, October 16, 2021 at First United Methodist Church, 203 Wisconsin Ave, Madison. A $25 non-refundable entry fee, payable to the Madison Symphony Orchestra, must accompany the application.
- Applicants must select a movement from a solo concerto or concert piece with orchestral accompaniment from the standard published repertoire. Simplified arrangements are not allowed. Orchestral accompaniment parts must be readily available.
- Total performance time shall not exceed 10 minutes, with allowable cuts to the appropriate tutti sections. No cuts may be made to the solo part. In the final performance, any and all cuts must be approved by the Music Director of the Madison Symphony Orchestra.
- All auditions must be accompanied by a piano reduction of the orchestral score, with the accompanist provided by the applicant.
- Memorization is required.
- Soloists may audition on one instrument only.
- Applicants must provide THREE judges’ copies of the piano score, with measures numbered.
- The winner(s) must be available to rehearse in the evening on Monday, November 22, 2021 and perform during the school day on Tuesday, November 23, 2021.
- Judges have complete discretion in naming or not naming winner(s). The judges’ decisions are final.
Thank you, Madison Symphony Orchestra, for giving me the opportunity to reach out to students from all over Wisconsin through my music. What an amazing experience it was to solo with a professional orchestra and knowing my performance may have inspired others. I will never forget the exuberance and energy that I felt performing with the Madison Symphony Orchestra on the Overture Stage. Thank you for creating such an amazing experience for the young musicians in Wisconsin!